This weekend we started work on our pathway, with help from Andrew, Freddy and Aaron.
Our goal is to have it 1.4m wide so that two wheel barrows can pass abreast and people in wheelchairs can turn around at any point.
- We rake back the mulch which has been killing the grass underneath revealing the cardboard.
- Apply another layer of cardboard, making sure to leave no holes or gaps.
- Spread granite 5cm thick. Taking care that it does not slide under the cardboard and lift it up because this would lead to flaps of cardboard coming through the path.
- Use the protruding edge of cardboard to either lay more cardboard for mulching the surrounding areas or back fill with mulch if the area is already mulched. It will much easier to deal with grass coming through mulch than granite.
- Rake out evenly over time as the ground becomes compacted with walking and rain.